Tom Piper is a prolific theater deisgner and artist based in the UK. Tom's career in theater design began in the 1980s, when he became involved with student theater at Cambrige while studying to be a biologist. Tom is currently a Creative Associate with the Tricycle Theatre and is helping with advice on their upcoming capital project.
Tom worked extensively with Dominic Hill at Dundee Rep, The Traverse, and now the Citz. Other regular collaborators have included Abigail Morris, Sam West, Conall Morrison,Tim Supple,Polly Teale, Chris Renshaw, Indhu Rubasingham, Sam Mendes and Erica Whyman.
He was Associate Designer at the Royal Shakespeare Company from 2004 to 2014, and as well as designing shows, was closely involved in the redevelopment project, working with Ian Ritchie architects on the Courtyard Theatre and plans for new TOP theatre, and with Bennetts Associates and Charcoalblue on the award winning new RST in Stratford. He also mentored the RSC Assistant designer scheme .
Tom collaborated with Alan Farlie on the acclaimed British Museum Exhibition, 'Shakespeare; Staging the World.' The pair worked together again on ‘Blood’ at the Jewish Museum and ‘Curtain Up’ for the V and A in 2016.
In 2014, Tom collaborated with ceramic artist Paul Cummins on the 'Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red' installation at the Tower of London. The installation consisted of 888,246 ceramic poppies and was a commemoration of the centenary of World War I.
Tom's awards include:
- Nominated Scottish theatre critics circle best design for Rhinoceros and Long Day's Journey into Night 2018
- Honorary Fellow Royal Welsh College Of Music and Drama 2015
- Orfeo Nominated for Olivier Award 2015 as part of outstanding achievement in opera for ROH, Roundhouse and The Globe.
- MBE for services to Theatre and First World war Commemoration 2014
- 'Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red,' Tower of London original concept and poppies by Artist Paul Cummins, Installation design by Tom Piper. Winner of London First Award for Cultural Excellence. Winner Special Award Civic Trust 2014.Tower of London, winner of Hudson Heritage special award.Winner Tourism Society award 2015. Tower of London winner of Museum and Heritage Award for the Installation. Winner Dulux Lets Colour award for Colour moment of the Year! Winner Visual Art Category South Bank Sky Arts Award .Winner Heros award from the charity Help the Heroes
- Red Velvet, Nominated for Best Production in an Affiliate Theatre Olivier Awards 2012
- As part of the design team on the RSC redevelopment , winner of the RIBA client of the year award 2011, shortlisted for the RIBA
- Stirling Prize 2011
- The Histories, RSC. Nominated Olivier award best set design 2009
- The Histories , RSC. Winner Olivier award best costume design 2009
- Insignificance, Sheffield. Nominated TMA awards best design 2005
- Ubu Roi, Dundee rep. Nominated Scottish theatre critics circle best design 2005
- Twelfth Night , Dundee rep. Winner Scottish critics circle best design 2003
- Rock station Soho theatre. Winner London fringe best design award 1992
- Cat in the Ghetto, Tabard theatre. Winner London fringe best design award 1990